Tim Starling wrote:
>Note that feature parity with Wikipedia has not been possible in pure
>PHP since 2003, when texvc was introduced. And now that we have
>Scribunto, you can't even copy an infobox template from Wikipedia to a
>pure-PHP hosted MediaWiki instance. The shared hosting environment has
>never been preferred, and I'm not particularly attached to it. Support
>for it is an accidental consequence of MediaWiki's simplicity and
>flexibility, and those qualities should be valued for their own reasons.

I tripped across <http://www.glottopedia.org/index.php/Main_Page>
recently. This is one of many specialized wikis throughout the Internet. I
don't know if Glottopedia is using shared hosting or not, but the larger
point is that small ideas can turn into big ideas. You've been quite fond
of referencing the Wikimedia Foundation's vision statement lately. I think
you probably recognize that Wikimedia wikis can't house everything; they
can house much, much more than they currently do, but some information
will be too specialized or esoteric for an encyclopedia or a source
repository or a quote collection or whatever. And so you have the actual
"rest of the library" to build and maintain (as opposed to what Wikia has
wrought), some of which is built upon small MediaWiki installations, which
may or may not turn into large MediaWiki installations one day.

There are a lot of decisions that MediaWiki development could have made to
make shared hosting support difficult or nearly impossible. .php5 file
suffixes, the ability to re-run the installer as an upgrade path,
retaining support for older versions of PHP, etc. We've added or supported
functionality in order to serve users who, for example, may or may not
have shell access or who may or may not have strong technical
capabilities. I completely agree with supporting simplicity and
flexibility and I agree that complete feature parity hasn't been possible
in quite some time. It's in thinking about users who are on more limited
hosts that we often develop better (simpler and more flexible) solutions.

I strongly disagree with the seeming dismissal of smaller sites that have
more limited budgets who have already chosen to use MediaWiki. We should
be proud of how popular MediaWiki has become across the Internet and we
should support its growth because it ultimately supports our own. The more
people engaged with and using MediaWiki, the better off we are. While you
may not be attached to these smaller installations, the people who work on
them are and I don't think it's fair to these users, MediaWiki's customers
and supporters, to casually wave them aside as flukes.

MZMcBride