On 01/16/2015 01:49 AM, Stas Malyshev wrote:
I think we're trying to fulfill a bit of a contradictory requirement here - running on the same software both the site of the size of *.wikipedia.org and a 1-visit-a-week-maybe $2/month shared hosting install. I think it would be increasingly hard to be committed to both equally.

This has always been my question independent of the specific choices made or being made to address this. So, some answers could be:

* Yes, it is possible and for that we need to continue with a monolithic install, and if VisualEditor/Flow, etc. is needed, then things like Parsoid would have to become part of core so continue to support WMF's product offerings.

* It is difficult to support installs equally well at the extremities of scaling / performance requirements, and for WMF's scale and features (new ones being developed and conceived on an ongoing basis), we need a different architecture where there are independent services that can be developed and maintained independently, but perhaps with packaging solutions, a large subset of existing wiki installs can be supported and developed

* It is not really possible to do both and there should be a fork / split of the mediawiki codebase, and each should go their own way.

Maybe I am setting up strawmen to articulate my point of view, which is the middle solution, simply because I don't believe that with continuing demand / development of new features, you can make the same codebase work for WMF's expanding feature set and for a lot of small wikis who are content with simple wikitext-based wikis without any of the additional complexity.

Anyway, independent of the specific outlines above, I think the question that should inform a discussion would be: is it really possible for the same codebase to support both WMF's requirements (I say WMF because it is leading the development of new feaures / products) with new and evolving products / features as well as the countless small wikis out there who have exactly one ore two requirements of the wiki?

I am happy to be disabused of the importance of this question.

Subbu.