On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >  * Do you think the extension should use the extmetadata property of
> >    ApiQueryImageInfo instead of a its own module?
> >  * Is it advisable to store validation data permanently in the database?
>
> I have no idea about this, but it does seem that the metadata is propagated
> to the oldimage table when a new one is uploaded, so it would fulfill your
> above question about storing old revisions' validation status.

metadata is data generated from the file. It has built-in storage and
invalidation mechanisms that are based on file upload / purge.
extmetadata is assumed to come from some other source, and providers need
to handle invalidation (and permanent storage, if desirable) manually.
Thus, metadata would be a better fit in theory, but I don't think it offers
any mechanism currently for extensions to hook into it. So I don't think
you are any worse off by writing a self-contained extension.