Antoine Musso <hashar+...@free.fr> writes:

> Le 23/01/2015 09:11, littlewmfb...@yandex.com a écrit :
>> Oh what a day! Which began when perforce
>> a visitor from afar began to exhort
> <snip
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-January/080300.html
>
> Can we get a simple English version of the poetry there?

As others have pointed out poetry doesn't translate well, but I've
managed to come up with an interpretation that I hope is easy for a
non-native speaker to understand.

(I admit feeling safer doing this since I wasn't at the all staff and
have no clue what this is about.  Burn me at the stake later.)

--- begin ---
What a day it has been!  We had an outside speaker who told us to
a lot of feel-good things -- learn, travel, see new things.

So we walked around San Francisco and talked to each other about
ourselves.

What a relief that we didn't *really* have to consider new thoughts or
ways of seeing things.

This made us feel great despite some obvious things like problems with
our projects and our horrible user experience that seems to ignore the
last 10 years of the "Social Web" and dissatisfied users who write long
rants.

Next we talked about strategy and new people without experience in the
project told us everything we had done wrong.

Three commands we were given:
1. Be fast *and* correct!
(But this seems to ignore reality of how long it takes to create
correct code.)

2. Innovate!
(As a pessimist, I don't see this as being in line with the
conservative nature of our current users and new editors and processes
don't just appear.)

3. Integrate, engage with the community
(But this seems to assume that there is a cohesive community instead
of the enormous conflicts and chaos that looks like the reality.  They
told us to engage with the community, but this didn't seem to recognize
the times we we've tried and got beat up by the community.)

In the end, we'll probably just end up doing our job like we have been.

Hope that is helpful,

Mark.

--
Mark A. Hershberger