Hi!

> This entire conversation is a bit disappointing, mainly because I am
> a supporter of the free software movement, and like to believe that
> users should have a right to see the source code of software they
> use. Obviously not everybody feels this way and not everybody is
> going to support the free software movement, but I can assure you I
> personally have no plans on contributing to any WMF project that is
> Apache licensed, but at the very least MediaWiki core is still GPLv2,
> even if it makes things a bit more difficult.

You seem to be equating access to source code with GPL, which IMHO is a
very narrow view of the world. The open source world is much wider than
GPL (even though nobody can deny that GPL projects are a substantial
part of it), and there are many successful, widely acclaimed and widely
used software projects which are open source and not GPL. Of course, the
choice where to contribute and on which condition is entirely yours, but
I *personally* would view such stance as somewhat counterproductive, if
your goal is to contribute to the world's repository of high quality
software that can be accessed to everyone.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org