Hi!

> And is also infeasible. For a web service. GPL is effectively weak
> copyleft already; I think that's quite weak enough. (As I noted, there
> is no actual evidence that permissive licenses secure more

This is very plausible, as the decision to contribute is rarely driven
by the license as a primary factor - you don't say "here's random
GPL-licensed project, I don't know anything about its domain, language,
goals, community, status or needs, but I feel compelled to contribute
because it's GPL!" - or at least, most people won't say that. As long as
the license is not completely un-acceptable, I would assume other
factors would dominate such decision. However, I know cases where I
personally had to write code or otherwise work around GPL libraries
because of license incompatibility with other open-source projects.
That, of course, can be also counted as "more contributions" but I don't
think that's what you meant :)

> contributions than copyleft, and some evidence the other way; despite

Out of curiosity, what evidence you mean?

> fans of permissive licenses repeating the claims ad nauseam over the
> last fifteen years, they're notably short on examples.)

You must already know examples of successful projects under permissive
licenses. So you probably seeking the examples of why permissive license
solicits _more_ contributions that if the same project was under GPL.
Such example would require a rather rare occurrence of a project
changing the license while at mature stage and measuring the
contributions before and after the license change, otherwise we'd be
comparing apples to oranges. My personal opinion is, as I described
above, that license doesn't matter too much provided it's not
unacceptably restrictive. Thus, for me looking for such examples would
be a waste of time :)
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org