On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Danny Horn <dh...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> So we've figured out a new reply/indentation model that separates those two
> functions. We've been testing it out on the flow-tests server [1], and
> we're going to release it to Mediawiki soon.

I ran some tests at
http://flow-tests.wmflabs.org/wiki/Topic:Sdrqdcffddyz0jeo. Here are my
observations:

   - Posts B, C, and I all reply to A, but the ordering is C, I, B. I'd
   expect replies to the same parent to be ordered chronologically (and I'd
   personally expect earliest first).
   - Posts B and C both reply to A, but are confusingly at different
   indentation levels. I'd expect replies to the same parent to be indented
   the same.
   - Posts I and E are at the same indentation level, despite I being a
   direct reply to A while E is at the end of the chain A→C→D→E. Similar
   confusion exists elsewhere. I'd expect two posts at the first indentation
   level under the same parent to both be replies to that parent.
   - Things are even weirder with post J: Even though D and its reply E are
   at the same indentation level, J is suddenly indented more because of an
   unrelated post I.
   - Things go completely wrong once we hit the maximum depth, it's
   impossible to have (or only to be seen as having?) "tangents" at all. The
   reply box doesn't even show up under the post where I actually clicked
   "Reply".

All in all, I personally find the resulting structure to be very confusing
as to what's actually replying to what since the same reply-structure might
be displayed in different ways (depending on the order the replies were
entered) and different reply-structures can give rise to the same
display-structure.