On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Danny Horn <dh...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Brad: unfortunately, it's really hard to tell very much from a conversation
> with messages like "3: Post C: reply to Post A". You could do that with the
> old model, the new model or the perfect magic Nobel-Prize-winning
> discussion threading still to be discovered, and it would probably look
> like nonsense in all three.

I shouldn't have used both numbers and post-names, but once I realized that
it was already a bit late and it won't let me edit those posts. Someone
with appropriate permissions is free to go back and edit them all to remove
the number prefix and let the alphabetical order of the post-names suffice
to indicate the chronological order of the postings, if that would make it
less confusing for you.

The point is the structure you're displaying doesn't make any sense, not
that the content of my messages isn't anything that might make sense on its
own. My "content" is explicitly simplified to illustrate the failings in
the displayed structure. Structure should *facilitate* understanding, but
in your demo I'd find that understanding the underlying structure of the
conversation would be *despite* the broken display-structure.

Nor is the point that people can screw up wikitext talk pages in ways that
are even more confusing. That's a given, but Flow is supposed to do better.
Right now it's worse than a well-formatted wikitext talk page (which has
the advantage that human users can *fix* the structure when a newbie breaks
it).

Comparing http://flow-tests.wmflabs.org/wiki/Wikitext version of
Topic:Sdrqdcffddyz0jeo to
http://flow-tests.wmflabs.org/wiki/Wikitext_version_of_Topic:Sdrqdcffddyz0jeo,
I find it much easier in the latter to see what is a reply to what.

> We've tried in our testing to pretend that we're having real conversations,
> so we could see whether there's any logical way to get to eight levels of
> nested threading. It's not easy to organize make-believe conversations,
> but if you want to start a thread, I'd be happy to fire up a few
> sockpuppets and pretend to talk about something with you.

No thanks. Pretend "real" conversations are ok for a first assessment at
usability, but by nature they're likely to be vapid and unlikely to have
the inter-post complexity of actual conversations on-wiki where people are
concentrating on actually communicating rather than on forcing a
conversation for the sake of testing.