A few notes:
* lists are public in the first version but there is APIs to make them
private. Public lists is something that will have moderation problems and
interesting to explore.
* the feature is _launching_ on mobile. It's built to work on desktop and
with a tiny bit of work I can turn it on as a beta feature on desktop (the
issue is how to replace the existing watchstar on desktop).
* We considered doing it straight in core based on the watchlist code but
we figured it would be more responsible to experiment in an extension, fine
tune it against a completely different use case to watchlist and then make
a proposal to move the good parts/all parts into core. I'm still personally
dedicated to resolving the RFC [1]. We have worked hard so that the api to
gather is backwards compatible with watchlist methods.
* you can play with it on betalabs:
** http://en.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:Gather/by/Jdlrobson
** http://en.m.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:Gather
* I'm personally excited to make multiple watchlists a reality using this
extension at Lyon if anyone is keen to help me there. The infrastructure
required is all in Gather.

[1]
https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Support_for_user-specific_page_lists_in_core