Cristian Consonni schreef op 2015/04/08 om 3:00:
Things that come to my mind:
*range blocks become impossible, and its impossible to tell if vandals are
using near by ips
*cant do a whois on the ip to see if its a library or something

Oh, I didn't think about this!

What about:
* creating a new permission group (say "IP watchers") that can see the
IP in non-hashed form?
* compile some sort of list and automatically tagging edits from
schools and libraries? (this could be useful regardless of hashing
IPs)

You are solving a problem that doesn't exist and creating more serious ones. There really is no "right to privacy" as it extends to editing Wikipedia, and that the WMF has manufactured one is more a source of trouble then benefit.

As it stands, pretty much any technically literate user can look at editing histories and begin contributing in analyzing vandalism patterns and making reports and decisions about them. I rely heavily on well-formed reports of vandalism by users that have already done the preliminary grunt work of detecting similar edits from people in the same geographic region or carrier, and I don't want anything that makes it more difficult for them to do it. Vandalism and block-evasion are *real* problems. The imaginary right to carry out public actions anonymously shouldn't get in the way of solving them.

KWW