>> What about:
>> * creating a new permission group (say "IP watchers") that can see the
>> IP in non-hashed form?
>> * compile some sort of list and automatically tagging edits from
>> schools and libraries? (this could be useful regardless of hashing
>> IPs)

> You are solving a problem that doesn't exist and creating more serious ones.
> There really is no "right to privacy" as it extends to editing Wikipedia,
> and that the WMF has manufactured one is more a source of trouble then
> benefit.

1) I just wanted to discuss this from a technical point of view, I am
not saying that *we must* implement this.

2) Actually this discussion started from another user on en.wiki and
not from the Wikimedia Foundation, which IMHO did well in considering
the problem and saying "we have looked into this but found no
satisfactory solution so far".