Just found the deprecation process document
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/API_roadmap>,
specifically:

>    1. If not already present, a request parameter will be added to
>    specifically request the old behavior.
>    2. The change will be announced:
>       - A message will be sent to the mediawiki-api-announce
>       <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-api-announce/> mailing
>       list.
>       - Deprecation warnings will be output when neither the
>       select-new-version nor the select-old-version flags are used. Logs will
>       also be made.
>    3. *After a suitable timeframe, the new version will become the
>    default.*
>    4. *Any flag to select the new version explicitly may at some point be
>    removed, leading to "unrecognized parameter" warnings.*

My argument is that step #3 is unnecessary and #4 needs clarification in
that IMO APIs should only be removed when they are no longer supported,
otherwise you're just creating busy work for yourself and the clients.