On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 18:29:08 +0700, John Mark Vandenberg wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
> <bjor...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> I've compiled a list of bots that have hit the deprecation warning more
>> than 10000 times over the course of the week May 23–29. If you are
>> responsible for any of these bots, please fix them. If you know who is,
>> please make sure they've seen this notification. Thanks.
>
> Thank you Brad for doing impact analysis and providing a list of the 71
> bots with more than 10,000 problems per week.  We can try to solve those
> by working with the bot operators.
>
> If possible, could you compile a list of bots affected at a lower
> threshold - maybe 1,000.  That will give us a better idea of the scale
> of bots operators that will be affected when this lands - currently in
> one months time.
>
> Will the deploy date be moved back if the impact doesnt diminish by bots
> being fixed?

Should someone contact those bots on their talk page to notify the owners or
do we hope everyone reads this mailing list?

Also, this change will affect not only bots but also every piece of software
or tool that was written or published prior to the change and relies on the
API to fetch data. So there are two issues with that:
* The maintainer of the tool has no time/interest to compile and publish new
releases of versions which were considered stable. This means the tool will
die if the source code is not available or no one wants to take over.
* Previously published programs that were considered stable and are executed
after July 1st. The user may not be aware that this tool is no longer stable
and requires an update. As far as I understood this API change: The results
from the API will just be somewhat different and not produce an error. So
the software will not crash but may produce weird behavior instead. Is there
any solution to this?

Thanks,
Marco