Thanks for the feedback (seriously).

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 5:53 AM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> More to the point: why not just make dev.wikimedia.org a round robin that
> points to either <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Data> or
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_contribute>? I think it would be a
> lot more valuable like that.

"How to contribute" is the golden arch for people who want to contribute to
free open knowledge. dev.wikimedia.org is for people who want to _take_ it;
as I wrote, we hope some of the latter shift to the former. It's tricky to
discern how and when to reel 'em in. After T101441 "Integrate new Developer
hub with mediawiki .org", I think these pages can become the Web API column
under "How to contribute", and we can reduce some redundant redundancy.

P.S. If it sounds as though I'm frustrated, it's probably due to the
> limited design resources we have being allocated pretty much exclusively
> to dubious microsites like the Transparency Report and this Data and
> Developer Hub, instead of having design resources devoted to, y'know,
> improving the real sites that receive billions of views per month.

Sure, that's a valid point (though "exclusively" is an exaggeration). The
absence of data beyond Luis' "design matters" makes the decision to do yet
another site hard and frustrating. I lack the Eloquence to present it
calmly; I can do levity and nobody dies if we made the wrong call, but I'm
not trivializing it.

Developing a new skin ought to be easier (obviously!). AIUI there isn't a
common approach underpinning Blueprint, Minerva (the mobile web skin),
Winter, and the Fixed Header and Compact Personal Bar beta features, though
the people who worked on them and other skins built up a lot of expertise.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Redo_skin_framework
seems stalled .

Regards,