On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Brion Vibber wrote:
> >Allowing override of the thumb rotation would provide you real time
> >rotation...
> >
> >I'm not sure about the need to rotate the original file; ideally original
> >files should be left as-is and kept archival.
>
> In my opinion, we need to solve image rotation as part of a larger project
> to support in-browser rasterized image manipulation. A bot shouldn't be
> necessary here. We should have the ability, in a Web browser, to crop,
> rotate, and make other basic manipulations to rasterized images. The fact
> that we have a media repository using software called MediaWiki that
> doesn't include an in-browser basic photo editor is pretty silly.

Agreed! Most of that probably should be non-destructive editing that keeps
the original and applies crop/rotate/filters along with thumbnailing as
necessary. That'll take some more infrastructure work though.

Of course if you're going to draw on a picture that'll require uploading a
new version.

-- brion