On 20 July 2015 at 17:03, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> <quote name="David Gerard" date="2015-07-20" time="12:04:55 +0100">

>> If this is all their host provides, however, this will in practice
>> lead only to never-updated MediaWiki running on never-updated PHP.

> Not much anyone other than the host or the user can do about that.
> Certainly nothing we (MW devs and/or WMF) can.

What I'm answering is the proposal that removing support for PHP 5.3
will motivate the user to upgrade their PHP, when that isn't the case.

I recall this has been the conclusion reached on this list previously
- that this will cause problems for MW out in the world, and gain it
an unwarranted reputation for insecurity as un-upgradeable
installations get pwned. Thus, if newer MW still supports older PHP,
this results in less pwned MW. The balance is up to you, of course.

- d.