Hi Pine! I love the idea, so thanks for bringing it up. :)

As I said in the email - it is not mandatory that the talks are tech
related, however the point of these specific lightning talks are to be
mostly tech related. Kevin, Megan and I are all very involved in Wikimedia
Tech and are doing this specifically with the goal of spreading information
about ongoing tech projects. We will probably give priority to tech focused
talks for this series, but any extra space can go to whatever else wants to
participate.
If there is someone else (you!?) or another group who wants to run lighting
with the purpose of a broader range of topics I will be happy and willing
to share our lessons learned from these lightning talks. Keep in mind that
this is only our second round of talks so we still have lots of room to
learn, improve, document and change.

A goal of mine is to start documenting the organization process and lessons
from running these talks. Anything that gets written up will go here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Calendar/How_to_schedule_an_event#Lightning_Talks
There is already a small amount of info, but not much. Check back for
updates! :)

Hope this helps!