On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. I was thinking of a tool that would let users input a variety of ways
> of referring to the retracted articles, such as DOI numbers (Peaceray is an
> expert in these). The tool would accept multiple inputs simultaneously,
> such as all 64 articles that were retracted in a batch. The tool would
> return to the user a list of all articles in which those references are
> used as citations, and highlight the paragraphs of the article where the
> citations are used. This would, I hope, greatly improve the efficiency of
> the workflow for dealing with retracted journal articles.

Sounds like a reasonable proposal, although I have to wonder if the time
spent building and maintaining this tool would be more or less than the
time it would save editors to search for retracted journal articles.

> 2. I'm not clear on where I should list a new idea. The list of ideas in
> Community
> Tech team/All Our Ideas/Process
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Community_Tech_team/All_Our_Ideas/Process>
> is based on a survey that has already been completed. Is there a
> Phabricator workboard that would be appropriate for listing a new idea such
> as this?

Community Tech is currently only accepting new tasks related to the All Our
Ideas survey results (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Community_Tech_team/All_Our_Ideas). We will
be opening up a new survey next month though (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Community_Tech_team/Community_Wishlist_Survey/Process).
In the meantime, you can post the idea at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech_project_ideas to get more
input on it. More details about all of this will be announced hopefully
next week.

> 3. I would prefer to have everyone using the same system, which is
> lists.wikimedia.org. It makes sense to me that everyone might migrate
> eventually to a newer system. I suggest avoiding fragmentation. Researching
> the possibility of migrating all mailing lists to a newer system sounds
> like a good project for Community Tech and I could propose that in
> Phabricator as well if there's a good place to do so.

That's a pretty good point. I'll request to have the mailing list moved to
lists.wikimedia.org.