Thanks for sharing this, Risker. If I were a casual contributor, I'm not
sure that I would attend either--not because I'd expect that Wikimedia
conferences/hackathons would necessarily be worse than other tech
conferences, but because I'd have no reason to expect them to be better.

Same with our online spaces: I was hesitant to apply to the internship that
started me contributing technically because I'd observed profoundly
unfriendly open source projects and had also been bitten on enwiki, and I
expected the technical spaces to be similar. I'm glad I did apply. Since
then, I've been able to work with some wonderful people here and I've made
contributions I'm proud of for a cause I support. I would like to be able
to point the next person with similar worries to a community-supported code
of conduct as a reassurance that the community as a whole will have their
back even if one or a few individuals treat them poorly.

-Frances