On 8/26/15, Jaime Crespo <jcre...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Alex Monk <kren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why database changes would be involved in a domain-only
>> change? It should be simple enough to get the new domain set up in DNS and
>> apache config, tell multiversion how to map it to the old DB name (there's
>> an array in setSiteInfoForWiki that does this bit), and once it's all
>>

> Not a developer, but AFAIK It requires a patch, that is proposed (by Reedy,
> I think), but not implemented. And there are other blockers like non-main
> DB dependencies on FlowDB, external storage and X1 plugins, plus some names
> inside the rows. But I am not the mediawiki expert. Feel free to contribute
> to the above mentioned tickets.
>
> --
> Jaime Crespo
> <http://wikimedia.org>

I really don't know what in MediaWiki would be complicated. After all,
we used to serve stuff from secure.wikimedia.org, (A different domain)
and nothing exploded. The worst bit was it split parser cache due to
magic words like {{SERVER}}. If we can serve from two different
domains, surely we could serve from two domains, delete 1, and then
just serve from the new domain.

Actually renaming the database name would probably cause a lot of
problems, but I don't see why we would want to do that.

imo, Anywhere in MediaWiki proper (e.g. Not counting WMF's overly
complicated config management system [yeah yeah, technically part of
MW, but you get my drift...]) that would be broken by changing
domains, and wouldn't instantly be fixed by changing $wgServer, should
be considered a bug. I am unaware of any such bugs at this time.
--
-bawolff