I've thought several times before that CirrusSearch has plenty of advanced
syntax, and almost no-one knows about they exist. We added a help link to
Special:Search but this help link is per wiki, and I don't think any of the
wikis Help:Searching pages even includes the cirrus syntax. On enwiki at
least mw:Help:CirrusSearch is linked (at the very very bottom) which might
allow a perseverant wikipedian to find them, much more could be done
though.

This would be interesting to work on, but I don't expect Discovery will
find time to investigate this for Q2. For the current quarter Discovery is
focusing its efforts towards fixing the search results you get with a plain
query that contains no special syntax. The search results are just not
nearly as relevant as they can be.

I'm certain I could find time to review anything put together for this
though.  Off the top of my head I would probably start by adjusting how the
autocompleter works, having it know the various prefixes available and
include them in the autocomplete drop down. Thats just a random idea from
me though, it seems there are plenty of other ideas to go around. If anyone
from the community plans to work on this just add me to the related gerrit
patch or phabricator ticket and I'll try and help you move it along.