With my Search team hat on, I really love this idea. It'd be great to
pair it with a simplification of the 'usual' search interface - I
share Isarra's feelings on namespace search being pretty ham-fisted,
and as time gets on find the many-element tickboxes that control it a
painful UI element.

On 13 October 2015 at 02:24, Erik Bernhardson
<ebernhard...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I've thought several times before that CirrusSearch has plenty of advanced
> syntax, and almost no-one knows about they exist. We added a help link to
> Special:Search but this help link is per wiki, and I don't think any of the
> wikis Help:Searching pages even includes the cirrus syntax. On enwiki at
> least mw:Help:CirrusSearch is linked (at the very very bottom) which might
> allow a perseverant wikipedian to find them, much more could be done
> though.
>
> This would be interesting to work on, but I don't expect Discovery will
> find time to investigate this for Q2. For the current quarter Discovery is
> focusing its efforts towards fixing the search results you get with a plain
> query that contains no special syntax. The search results are just not
> nearly as relevant as they can be.
>
> I'm certain I could find time to review anything put together for this
> though.  Off the top of my head I would probably start by adjusting how the
> autocompleter works, having it know the various prefixes available and
> include them in the autocomplete drop down. Thats just a random idea from
> me though, it seems there are plenty of other ideas to go around. If anyone
> from the community plans to work on this just add me to the related gerrit
> patch or phabricator ticket and I'll try and help you move it along.
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Isarra Yos <zhoris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Technically that is true, but I suspect that 95% of the time, 95% of
>>> users care only about the main namespace. Filter by category, wildcard
>>> searches, title searches, fuzzy searches, etc., are eminently more usable.
>>> I'll probably build an advanced search plugin myself if nobody else has
>>> done it yet.
>>>
>>> DanB
>>>

>> This is an important point. Namespace searching by itself really feels
>> like a much more ham-fisted approach to a lot of this, for when lacking
>> anything more elegant to narrow things down (not that it's not useful too).
>> But we do have elegant now, and yet nobody sees it.

Oliver Keyes
Count Logula
Wikimedia Foundation