On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM dinar qurbanov <qdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Apologies for the bluntness, but if you cannot conform to the coding
> standards of a project in terms of minor things such as spacing, how can we
> know or trust you that you are confirming to standards that are more
> meaningful, such as those related to security? ...
>
> we are talking about changing the standarts themselves. so the current
> standarts will not be standarts any more after they are changed.
> having different styles will be ok then.

There should always be standards. Even if we manage them somewhere
else  so programmers can avoid writing in-style themselves, we still have
to have an actual standards to enforce :)

> > ... consider merging in changes to someone else's work -- if your style
> clashes with theirs the result will look horrible ...
>
> as i said , there are solutions for that : a) main code may have
> consistent code and only new commit/merge preparations have
> inconsistent code b) only code in authors/programmers/coders' (local)
> computers may keep their own styles, being automatically standartised
> when accepted by server

That's actually an option. Also, `arc` allows us to handle this semi-
automagically when we start moving more towards Phabricator for our CR.
It would allow people to focus less on writing pretty code, although it
would let them know prior to pushing that their commit had been rewritten.

> c) even main code may keep inconsistent
> styles, and git, svn, etc diff/ patch/ merge tools can automatically
> standartise code on fly for every operation. too bad or strange codes
> like too many chars in line or too many spaces or incorrect
> indendation may still be forced to fix by authors themselves.

The server-side code has to be the same. Different whitespace would
result in different diffs and sha1s and completely different underlying
repos in Git. Any changes to coding style have to be done client-side.

If you really want to rewrite MW's coding style to your own, you could
probably get away with a post-checkout hook in your git repo. That would
let you look at MW code with all the ugly spaces removed :)

-Chad