Hi,

It's well known that Wikipedia is facing threats from other social
networks and losing editors. While many of us spend time trying to make
Wikipedia different, we need to be cognizant that what other social
networks are doing is working. And if we can't beat them, we need to
join them.

I've written a patch[1] that introduces a new feature to the Thanks
extension called "feelings". When hovering over a "thank" link, five
different emoji icons will pop up[2], representing five different
feelings: happy, love, surprise, anger, and fear. Editors can pick one
of those options instead of just a plain thanks, to indicate how they
really feel, which the recipient will see[3].

Of course, some might consider this feature to be controversial (I
suspect they would respond to my email with "anger" or "fear"), so I've
added a feature flag for it. Setting
 $wgDontFixEditorRetentionProblem = true;
will disable it for your wiki.

Please give the patch a try, I've only tested it in MonoBook so far, it
might need some extra CSS in Vector.

[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/280961
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/F3810964
[3] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/F3810963