I sympathize with your concern, Ori.  I suspect, however, that it shows a
fundamental misunderstanding of why the Teahouse works when other processes
(several of which have included cute symbols) have been less effective.

And the reason is: the Teahouse is explicitly designed for having
conversations.

Teahouse "convenors" were initially selected for their demonstrated
communication skills and willingness to remain polite when dealing with
often frustrated people, and their ability to explain often complex
concepts in straightforward terms.  As their ranks have evolved, they have
sought out and taught others those skills, and there's an element of
self-selection that discourages the more curmudgeonly amongst us from
participating.  (There's not a lot of overlap between those who regularly
help out at the Teahouse and those who hang out on ANI, for example.)
We're talking about a relatively small group of people who really excel at
this type of communication, although it is certainly a skill that others
can develop if they have the willingness and inclination - but it really
comes down to being able to identify the right "level" at which to talk to
people, and then actually talking.

The Teahouse works because it doesn't [obviously] use a lot of fancy
technology, because it doesn't use a lot of templates and automated
messaging, because it's made a lot of effort to avoid massive hyperlinking
to complex and inscrutable policies.  It's people talking to people.  It's
scaled remarkably well - I suspect because there are more "nice"
Wikipedians than people realize - where other processes have failed.
Several of those processes failed because we couldn't link up the right
people giving the right messages to new users (MoodBar was an example of
that - on top of the really problematic technical issues it raised), and
others failed because they were pretty much designed to deprecate direct
person-to-person communcation (AFT-5 would be in that category).

Nonetheless, I think you've raised an important point.  If we can develop
processes that can better link up new users with people who have the
interest and skill to communicate with those new users, we should keep
trying those technologies. But those technologies need to incorporate the
existing findings that the most effective way of attracting and retaining
new editors is direct, one-to-one communication. Not templates. Not cute
emojicons. Not canned text, and certainly not links to complicated
policies. It's people talking to people in a helpful way that makes the
difference.  And that's a lot harder than meets the eye.

And now, having written this, I'm going to spend some time trying to figure
out how to create a message to new users I encounter when I'm oversighting
their personal information...without templating or linking to complex
policies, but pointing them to the Teahouse. I'm pretty sure it's not going
to be very easy, but I'm going to try.

Thank you for saying this, Ori.

Risker/Anne