As mentioned before Github's interface for searching, browsing, reading and
linking to code is great, so it would be great to keep the mirrors. An
option could be moving them to another organization, like wikimedia-mirrors
maybe.

Another very nice feature in the mirror repos IMO is the graphs tab. For
example https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki/graphs/contributors