On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM, MAYANK JINDAL <mayank.jind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
> Hope you are doing well.
> I want to discuss my preparation for Gsoc-2017 in Wikimedia. I am very new
> to this organization and I am facing a lot of difficulties in getting
> Wikimedia workflow.
> 1. I have done open source contributions in past and what I have seen is -
> They have their repositories on GitHub and issues related to that repo. For
> preparing to contribute, we just had to fork their repo and send a pull
> request after resolving the issue. But in Wikipedia, there is a lot of
> hassle(phabricator, gerrit and all).
> 2. For the preparation of GSoC, we need to choose an idea from the idea
> page. Can you please help me in choosing the project?
>    I am doing android app developement since 3 years. So I think android
> related tasks would be easy for me to get started.
>    Could Someone help me for getting started in android?
> 3.  What are the other things that happen apart from GSoC(In case if I wish
> to contribute even after Gsoc. How is the          culture of this
> community?
> 4. I am not facing a lot of difficulties in IRC. Sometimes I don't get the
> reply, sometimes my nickname is unavailable if I get offline for some time
> and it is not very friendly. Could somebody help me in IRC. I am using mac.
> My nickname is *mayank_dev*
>
> I apologize for my long email. But I am facing a lot of difficulties in
> the community.
>
> Thanks.

In regards to 3:
> 3.  What are the other things that happen apart from GSoC(In case if I wish
> to contribute even after Gsoc. How is the          culture of this
> community?

You are welcome to contribute at any time. You do not need to be part
of a program to do so. The other major outreach programs are GCI
(happening right now) which is open to high school students, and
Outreachy, which is similar to GSOC, but only open to Women.

As far as "culture" goes, that's a rather broad question. Can you be
more specific.

In regards to 4,
> 4. I am not facing a lot of difficulties in IRC. Sometimes I don't get the
> reply, sometimes my nickname is unavailable if I get offline for some time
> and it is not very friendly. Could somebody help me in IRC. I am using mac.
> My nickname is *mayank_dev*

Whether or not somebody replies to you can depend on a lot of factors,
such as how specific your question is, if anyone knowledgeable is
around (This can very significantly with timezone), etc. If your
nickname is unavailable, I would suggest just chosing a different one.
Possibly it is unavailable because you are still logged in somewhere
(most likely), or maybe someone else also uses that nickname. If you
really want to always have the same nickname always, see the freenode
ChanServ docs about how to register a nickname.

--
Brian