Hi all!

This is a Final Call for Comments on the RFC on Content Model Storage [1][2]. If
no new and serious objections are raised within a week, the Architecture
Committee will approve this RFC and drive its implementation.

The RFC on Content Model Storage was originally approved in 2015, but was then
postponed in favor of another RFC, which proposes to create a separate content
meta-data table [3] as part of the move towards multi-content revisions (MCR)
[4].

However, MCR in turn got stuck on database performance concerns. So we now
propose to go ahead with implementing the original RFC. The idea is to assign a
number to every content model (and content format), and then use these numbers
to refer to the models and formats in the database, instead of repeating the
same string millions of times (which is my fault btw, sorry about that).

Since the original RFC was already approved, and the situation does not seem to
have changed since then, we see no need for another round of discussions. If
nobody raises any new and serious objections within a week, this should be good
to go.

Cheers,
Daniel

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Content_model_storage
[4]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multi-Content_Revisions/Content_Meta-Data#Database_Schema

--
Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.