On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Eddie Greiner-Petter <
wikimedia....@eddie-sh.de> wrote:

> That reminds me that we noticed during switch to codfw that the message
> shown when trying to really edit a page (the mediawiki read-only
> message) contains:
>
> The system administrator who locked it offered this explanation:
> MediaWiki is in read-only mode for maintenance. Please try again in a
> few minutes
>
> which isn't quite informative. Is there a task for changing the "offered
> explanation" part? Some hint about the DC switch (and maybe a link to
> the meta page) would be better.

The read-only messages are controlled by these strings:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/source/mediawiki-config/browse/master/wmf-config/db-codfw.php;a65f35adbc9d2c8c9a85e956a64661783d2c973d$645
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/source/mediawiki-config/browse/master/wmf-config/db-eqiad.php;a65f35adbc9d2c8c9a85e956a64661783d2c973d$664

I think with the pressure of keeping everything up, plus discussing
internally if we should declare a specific amount of time (given it doesn't
auto-update) we ended up a very generic message. We are, however, looking
at showing better error messages like on the ticket I reported at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T163455#3199813

Please send a pull request or file a new ticket on Phabricator with the
#operations and #codfw-rollout tags with a proposal and we can definitely
change it by Wednesday.

Thanks,

--
Jaime Crespo