On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:35 PM, Dan Garry <dga...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> By definition, a null edit does not perform any change at all, and is
> therefore not recorded publicly since there's technically nothing to
> record. I suspect the only way you could find this kind of information is
> in the server logs, and access to those is very tightly restricted for
> privacy reasons.

Trusted volunteers can sign an NDA and get access to application logs (an
option that IMO we should promote more). Writing to the application logs
(ie. logstash) when a null edit happens would be a trivial and harmless
change. Writing to the MediaWiki action log would have a higher maintenance
and performance cost.