Am 29.07.2017 um 04:44 schrieb Brian Wolff:
> Volunteers are subject to all sorts of processes they dont (directly)
> consent to. Sure they could walk away if they dont like a process, just
> like staff can quit if they dont like something, but thats rarely a real
> option.

Sure, to have certain things done, volunteers have to submit to certain
processes. My point was that volunteers are free to pick what they want to see
done, and thus what processes they submit to. Staff doesn't have that choice -
unless, as you said, they quit. Sure, that's always an options, but not really
comparable.

What I was getting at is: for volunteer developers, the new charter effectively
changes nothing. Except perhaps that they gain some more influence on wmf
development via TechCom, which now has at least some authority within the wmf
org chart.

-- Daniel Kinzler
Senior Software Developer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.