On Tuesday, September 19, 2017, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> be clear: we never chose HHVM for Hack. We don't use Hack. The one
>> experiment I had at trying Hack never panned out. MediaWiki is in PHP,
not
>> Hack.
>>

> To be super clear: MediaWiki is in *PHP5*.  The choices are:
>
> 1) MediaWiki will always be in PHP5.
> 2) MediaWiki will eventually migrate to PHP7, or
> 3) MediaWiki will eventually migrate to Hack.
>
> Is anyone arguing for #1?
>
> So we've got two backwards-incompatible choices to make, eventually.
>  --scott
>
> --
> (http://cscott.net)

No, MediaWiki is written in a subset of php5 which is forwards compatible
with php7. The backwards incompatible things are by in large things no sane
code would rely on (http://php.net/manual/en/migration70.incompatible.php)
There are people who are using mediawiki with php7 right now without
complaint. Presumably eventually we will move to needing php7, just like
once we moved from php4 to php5, but thats really just a version
requirement increment.

Sure there may be backwards incompatible things that come up, but thats
nothing new. E.g. We used to have a class named Namespace. Then php 5.3
came along and its now MWNamespace. All signs point to php7
incompatibilities to be of this form.
--
Brian