> > Excellent, thank you! It would be particularly interesting to know what
> > assumptions you make about the semantics of rev_parent_id. E.g. there
> are three
> > revisions, A, B, and C, and revision B gets romoved - what should
> revision C's
> > parent be?
> >
> > Similarly, when revision X gets imported and inserted between A and B,
> what
> > should revision B's parent be?
>
> I think in such a case, revision C's parent should benull or 0. Similarly
> for revision X.
>
> I dont view the parent as what revision came first but what revision was
> edited to make this revision (i.e. where the current revision was "forked"
> off from)

Yep, that was my thinking. I was going to save it for the IRC discussion,
but since I can say this quickly: I use rev_parent_id to find the literal
*previous* revision (revision that was "forked", as Brian says), for the
purposes of immediate revert detection and for the diff size. I also do
this for the subsequent revision, all with a single query (FROM revision
then two JOINs on revision). If I can get this information just as easily
by other means, my use case is satisfied.

Also quick side note, I hope it's obvious that viewing diff sizes on
revision histories and contribution pages is essential. Indeed it's
sometimes wrong, so obviously it'd be great if that could somehow be fixed
:) I'm sure you smart people have some great ideas. Looking forward to the
IRC discussion.

~Leon