Hello together,

I'm currently working on upgrading some wikis to Mediawiki 1.31, and I've been reading the manual on extension dependencies. It is clearly stated at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Extension_registration#Requirements_(dependencies) that skins can be required with the key "skins", however looking at git and the change in gerrit, the key is actually implemented as "skin" https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/core/+/250060/33/includes/registration/VersionChecker.php. The change in itself is inconsistent, as it adds both documentation and actual code which are not compatible to each other.

I've been wondering if it is just the documentation being wrong or the key being typo'd ever since 1.29, considering the extensions dependency key is inplural I'd tend to think the key is typo'd ever since 1.29.

Question would then be how to resolve this. The best way would probably be to deprecate the "skin" key and implement "skins" as a key, and remove "skin" with the next major release (1.32), as I don't think the actual behaviour should be changed mid-release.

--
Alex "FO-nTTaX" Winkler

Head of Liquipedia Development
https://liquipedia.net/ - https://www.teamliquid.com/