https://hu.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grafikus_matroid&diff=prev&oldid=20406147
illustrates another use: separating - and { in the unusual case where this
string is wanted and you *don't* want language converter markup.  ie
`-<nowiki/>{foo}-` is different from `-{foo}-`.  You don't usually notice
this because languageconversion is disabled in many wikis, but it can cause
problems if unbalanced syntax is used inside a template argument, like:
`{{foo|-{bar}}`.  Here you need to use `{{foo|-<nowiki/>{bar}}`, even if
LanguageConverter is not enabled.

Amir -- in german, shouldn't they be tweaking the "linktrail" setting on
dewiki, instead of using `<nowiki/>`?  What are cases where they *do* want
the link to include the entire word?  Can they be automatically
distinguished?
 --scott

(http://cscott.net)