Am 28.10.2018 um 22:53 schrieb David Abián:
> We don't want to hide these links from everyone, just from non-confirmed
> users. We could write CSS rules for certain user groups, but this can
> bring undesired side effects like giving all users the possiblity of
> hiding arbitrary content (e.g., vandalism) from other users who should
> be able to see it.

How exactly could that be abused? CSS rules seem the best approach to me.

> We also have `mw.title.protectionLevels["edit"]` in Lua, but this option
> is documented as "expensive" and I can't guess what its impact could be
> if applied on a large scale.

I don't see how this can work with the parser cache. The Lua code runs once
every time the page is purged. The result is then shown to everyone. The code
does not run per user.

I assume you would still want to show the link to users who actually do have the
right to edit.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, MediaWiki Platform