> Instead, it tells me that DirectSound (!)
> detected no audio hardware, and I don't even get the first second.  This is a
> drivers problem (the SBLive/emu10k driver doesn't seem to support the
> archaic /dev/audio, but wineoss doesn't use it, only dsound), but why is it
> trying to use dsound when I explicitly tell it not to in the ini?
normally /dev/audio and /dev/dsp point to same beast (the first sound card in
the system), only the default attributes differ. since both dsound and wineoss
reinit everything at startup, both should be fine.
I'd suspect more that both dsound and wineoss cannot open at the same time
the device for sound output hence the problem
can you post the output of -debugmsg +dsound,+wave

--
Eric Pouech (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.pouech/)