On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 06:16:43AM +0000, Eric Pouech wrote:
> > Instead, it tells me that DirectSound (!)
> > detected no audio hardware, and I don't even get the first second.  This is a
> > drivers problem (the SBLive/emu10k driver doesn't seem to support the
> > archaic /dev/audio, but wineoss doesn't use it, only dsound), but why is it
> > trying to use dsound when I explicitly tell it not to in the ini?
> normally /dev/audio and /dev/dsp point to same beast (the first sound card in
> the system), only the default attributes differ. since both dsound and wineoss
> reinit everything at startup, both should be fine.

Both should get opened. I have no problems with my SB Live! Player with both
normal and DirectSound.

Please check if /dev/audio is present at all and writeable for you.

> I'd suspect more that both dsound and wineoss cannot open at the same time
> the device for sound output hence the problem
> can you post the output of -debugmsg +dsound,+wave

This is actually not true for the SB Live driver.

It can be opened several times and be fed multiple audio streams at the
same time, which the card mixes together.

> > I now get no
> > sound whatsoever, not even the first loop through the buffer.  But it used to
> > get the first time through.  Does one failing kill the other?  Why don't they
> > both use /dev/dsp?

Strange.

Ciao, Marcus