On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:25:20AM -0500, Jeremy White wrote:
> Okay, part two is to discuss what an RPM or DEB installation
> process looks like to the end user.
>
> After some discussion, this is the end user experience
> we propose:
>
>     1.  Installing the package should, IOHO:
>
>         A.  Install the files to the appropriate place
>             (/usr/bin? /usr[/share]/doc /usr/lib/wine)

Yup.

>         B.  Modify ld.conf to include the lib directory

No need if you use -rpath like I do in the Caldera RPMs now.

Also modifying system files is being frowned upon in general,
(Especially by Debian.) It also creates only trouble during system update.

>         C.  [Controversial] Modify Gnome/KDE file associations
>             to associate .exe files with wine

Not as bad, except there should be a small wrapper which detects DOS
files, and starts dosemu or similar.

Also the wrapper should put up a messagebox "Launching WINE...",
since WINE startup takes longer than the n seconds that the casual
user expects a application startup to take.
(We had several people clicking on .exe and wondering why nothing happens
 since on the first run it takes like > 30 seconds to calculate fonts.)

>         D.  [Controversial] Install a kernel patch to
>             allow .exe files to be launched from the command line.

Needs +x on .exe files... :/

>         E.  [Controversial] Do *not* install a /etc/wine.conf
>             file.  IMHO, since the global wine configuration
>             is IMHO misleading, we shouldn't install one by
>             default.

Why not? Do install it. Do all user based config in ~/.winerc.
For this "inherting .INI files" would be good, where ~/.winerc
only contain the user changes, all others are inherited from the
global .winerc.

>         F.  [Controversial] Create a global KDE/Gnome menu
>             entry for Wine, put Winecfg under it, and maybe
>             also put in a simple Windows application launcher.
>             Hmmm.  This could be cool; we could make a little
>             launcher with checkboxes that turn on good
>             debug info, and facilitate the creation of a
>             decent bug report.  Also, the wine launcher
>             could control (hide) the stdout/stderr of
>             Wine, and give the user an option to see it
>             if/when Wine crashes.  Thus, the wine launcher
>             would be the thing tied to the .exe associations.

Yes. :)

>         G.  [Optional, not a good idea IMHO] Run Winecfg.

Run it on first start of WINE for every user.

Ciao, Marcus
--
     /  __/____/  /                Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH