Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

"Shachar Shemesh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Following a discussion with Alexandre on IRC, here is a revised patch. This one doesn't touch the LC_MESSAGE, as these do not affect the user locale. Further work will be necessary on supporting MUI like language checking.

if ((lang = getenv( "LC_ALL" )) ||
- (lang = getenv( "LANGUAGE" )) ||
+ (env1 && (lang = getenv( env1 ))) ||
(lang = getenv( "LANG" )))

I think that re-introducing an ability to change Wine's locale with LC_CTYPE is flawed.

That's not what I'm trying to do.

Remeber, that current ANSI code page
affects not only keyboard input, but also all things depending
on MultiByteToWideChar/WideCharToMultiByte conversions, that's
all resource strings and hardcoded non-unicode application strings.

Good. That's the effect I'm trying to achieve here. LC_CTYPE controls what codepage the system is in. Wine should inherit that.

If you are trying to fix keyboard input, you have to fix it not
in Wine, but in your Linux locale setup. If you have LC_ALL, LANG
and LC_TYPE pointing to different locales your setup is broken.

If I have LC_ALL pointing to something, then that's what everything is. LANG, on the other hand, is defined to the lowest precedence there is, AFTER LC_*.

If I have LC_CTYPE and LANG pointing at different things, it may be because I want to speak one language, but have an encoding that belongs to another. There is nothing broken with that, and there is no reason not to support that.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.