Mike McCormack wrote:

but I think the way forward is to submit an implementation of dlls/riched20 then make that work, and after it's debugged and worked
out, rip out the old dlls/riched32 code and forward it to the new completed riched20 code.

I'd prefer to keep it as an app, not a DLL for a while. It just makes testing easier.

You've writen the code to deal with unicode as default, which is
good, but you need to deal with both ASCII and unicode messages in
the window procedure.

Sure. And I guess it should be done before making a DLL out of it.

It might be better to use libwineunicode and kernel32 unicode string
 manipulation functions rather than msvcrt ones. eg lstrlenW,
lstrcpyW, etc. instead of wcslen, wcscpy, etc. Avoid the TCHAR type
in Wine code.

Good point. I guess it would be nice to replace malloc/free with LocalAlloc/LocalFree, right ?

Similarly, you'll need to use "winbase.h" and friends instead of "windows.h".

Good idea. Done.

From what I can see in the old riched32 code, the rtf parser looks quite good, so don't try rewrite that

I'm all for reusing existing Wine code.

haven't). We can merge the parser into the riched20 code quite easily... it's just enters the text into the existing control using
EM_SETSEL and some formatting messages.

LOL :) That's a smart idea :) I'm curious about interactions with undo, but we have no undo anyway (yet).

I have a test I can send to you if you wish.

You mean, another container application ? That would be cool, my container is getting better but it's still not very good.

Again, my preference is to get this into the Wine CVS sooner rather
than later, so others can start helping improve it.

I'll see what can be done. As soon as there is a minimal text manipulation API (based on RichEdit API, not on function calls), I can separate the control into a DLL and move the app code in the test directory.

So far, the next version is available at:

    http://foltman.com/richtext-20050130b.tar.gz

Main changes are:

- editor.c contains a list of which messages/notifications/styles work and which don't
- incomplete read-only mode
- replacement of MSVCRT wcs functions with Win32 lstr
- a modification flag
- a shy attempt at starting undo
- a #define to choose between my editor and the original RICHEDIT. It's not what I want it to be, but it's better than nothing.