I'm using wine to access a particular proprietary DLL (I don't have the source for it) on Linux. The way I'm doing this is to write an EXE that wraps the DLL, and makes all of the functions available via socket request and response messages. My linux program has access to the functions of the DLL by sending socket messages to the EXE running under wine. 2 questions:

1. My DLL/EXE uses no calls to pop up graphical windows, so theoretically no display is needed. Of course wine needs a display because it does not know that an EXE won't make such calls. Is there a way to run wine with a null or dummy display - so that it is effectively running headless?

2. The sockets trick was the simplest way I could figure out how to do IPC between a linux process and a wine process. However, is there are any better or faster way to do this? As far as I know I can't use winelib because I don't have the source to the DLL.

Thanks,

Ken Larson