Thanks to everyone who responded. It sounds like the patch might not have
solved all the problems, but it's generally a good improvement.

I will do some more work yet before submitting anything to wine-patches (well,
I've submitted one trivial patch already - it hasn't yet been accepted). ALSA
with emulation and OSS both (still) do not work on my own system (OSS with
emulation, acceleration not supported due to ALSAs crummy emulation). I want to
at least sus out why - there may be a trivial fix lurking in there somewhere.

Also I want to look at the 'length is not a factor of blocksize' problem that
Randall Walls mentioned (I see the same message sometimes when I exit
StarCraft).

Will post another test patch here when I've made better progress.

Davin