Kuba Ober wrote:

If fontforge"made a mess", that's not just because it's an extra dependency. It's because someone, instead of making the right choice and shipping whatever files fontforge is building, shipped only the sources. The right thing to do would be to ship the prebuilt stuff at least until "right" version of fontforge reaches mainstream. Now we're trying to waste some more time by ripping fontforge and creating sfd2ttf (?). That's lunacy! Just ship the damn prebuilt files until the time is ripe to take them out. Of course the sources should be kept there all the time as well.

So if a version of gcc got released that didn't produce correct libraries then we should add all of the .so files to the Wine tree? What a good idea!

Of course, the fix is to try to add a configure check for the incorrect ttf files that fontforge produces, or otherwise a version check, as has already been discussed.

--
Robert Shearman