- Software shaders currently simply don't work. If we do get software
shaders it'll likely be vertex only.
So, we should allow hardware pixel shaders, and software vertex shaders.
 I could see
someone using software vertex shaders if he's got no hardware support
for shaders, although it's questionable if such a card would be able
to effectively run an application that requires them anyway.
Software shaders are chosen if (1) there's no support for hardware, (2) the user elected software, or (3) the application elected software, and (3) is required as part of the DirectX spec.
Mesa is
possibly a better option there. Either way, you're not going to be
using software vertex shaders together with HW pixel shaders, that's
just silly
Well, I was able to identify at least one bug that way [ improper initialization of vertex shader output register ].
So imo it just adds complexity to the code without giving much of a benefit.
You're taking two logically separate concepts, and merging them together for no good reason at all. I'm just not sure what the purpose is - at the very least you'd be able to turn off pixel and vertex separately as a user override. Once geometry shaders come into play, I think they should get their own flag too.