You cannot compare AppDB to Wikipedia nor anything like that. You
cannot compare wiki vandals to spambots either.
That's outside the point, anyway. The real problem here is this, a
wiki fits a need where most content can be added and changed by anyone
and everyone. This is not the AppDB's goal. You are setting sail for
administration-hell. Nevermind having one volunteer, you would put
more workload on current maintainers, and it would certainly not
attract many more.

There's been discussions on ways to improve the AppDB recently, I'm
sure you followed them. Things are working out, there are just a few
points to fix; how it can be confusing for users submitting test data,
and how it can be confusing for users reading test data. There is no
actual problem with the data itself most of the time.

I liked the proposal for getting some kind of Application Wizard that
would automatically give the app a rating, etc. I'd also like, as a
user but also as a maintainer of external resources, to have a nice
organized page for tips/hacks/patches/what-not in order to get an app
to work.

Here is a common example. I play WoW and just installed Ubuntu to
ditch my Windows install. I want to get WoW working. My first reaction
is to google or ask around and I'll get linked to wine. This is the
first page I will see:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922

That's confusing, I have multiple versions of the game, but for WoW I
should only have something like "WoW without any expansion", "WoW: The
Burning Crusade" (1st expansion) and "WoW: Wrath of the Lich King".
Additionally, the most recent version is in the middle of the others;
I might not read, click the first link and get way-outdated data from
wine 0.9.39.
Solution: Have an obvious "Recent version(s)" link, and a more obscure
"Old/Archived test data" if need be archiving it.

I then land on this page if I get it right:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14154

Woah this is just huge. No way I'm reading it all. I have dozens and
dozens of workarounds - am I gonna have to use them all or something?
I want to get everything right on the get-go but this is very
discouraging.
If you know how it works it's actually pretty neat, but this is kind
of unreadable. A few solutions:

Have a bunch of section. Maybe something tabbed or something, when I
look at a page for the first time I don't want to see something
extremely long. Moving the comments out of the page, but with a very
obvious link would be nice.
What I'm thinking is some kind of tab UI between the breadcrumb and
the top of the test data.

Test Data  ||  Known bugs (8) ||  Workarounds  ||  Comments

What I'm doing here is just splitting the page in 4. Everything should
fit within 1 or 2 screens, much more readable suddenly. "Known bugs"
could probably have a maintainer-written note on anything that doesn't
belong on bugzilla (such as bugs happening on Windows only) and voila.

See, no need for a Wiki.

Jerome L.

--
Adys