On 29/09/10 16:53, Scott Ritchie wrote:
Unfortunately the default behavior can only be set globally, so that
leaves me with:

1) make installing the package cause the global change
2) the above idea
3) do nothing

I'm not sure which is worse, although I know doing nothing breaks a lot
of apps.  The long term solutions are described at the bug however.

It would be rather nice if there were a cap_sys_ptrace that were at
least restricted to other processes owned by that user...

What do other packages that depend on ptrace do? In particular, what does strace do?

I'd ask about fakeroot-ng, but it's in universe, and I'm the "upstream" maintainer (read - Debian), so I'm fairly sure that's just broken, but do have a look at that too.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd.