Dearest Doc,

Happy birthday to the source of so many stories, traditions, and joyful
memories.

I recently told my daughter, who had received some pretty tough grading
from a teacher, the story of how you gave me an "F or D" on my Merchant of
Venice paper. And how humbling (and maddening!) it was to get such a bad
grade. But it was a call to do better (or else!), which is possible if
inspiration paves the path for the will. I'm never sure if I was more
inspired or willful to do better, but it doesn't matter now. What matters
is that it was a tough life lesson that lives with me today. Having you as
a teacher made me stronger.

Much love,

Anne