From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 10:13 PM
Subject: [WinPcap-users] Overlapped I/O with Win32 version (W2K) of packet32
?

Hi all,

For a rather strange application, I need async I/O support from the
packet32.dll module.  What I *really* need is select()-like behavior
on a bunch of open interfaces, but I can easily simulate that as long
as I have async (overlapped) I/O on the interface handles.

While implementing the code in my application, and hitting some
errors from the Packet32 DLL, I checked the source of Packet32. It
looks like the channel to the kernel driver is opened using the
standard

AdapterObject->hFile = CreateFile( ... )

calling sequence, which is as expected.  I can simply bypass the
standard PacketReceivePacket() call and replace it with my own code
to handle the overlapped-ness, no problem there.

What *is* sadly not working, is the actual parameters to the CreateFile
call above... the adapter handle is *not* opened with the
FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED parameter enabled, so, overlapped I/O will not
work on these handles.

Although I am currently still using V2.3 on my development system, it
looks (from the source) that V3.0 does not have it, either.

Since I don't have the Microsoft SDK/DDK installed (just Vissual Studio
V6.0SP5+PP), I cannot compile the "changed" packet32.c myself  :(

Question: could one of the developers of the package help me out?

Thanks,
Fred

 mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]