We have been experiencing  the same problem with Proxim AP2000 b/g  here in Wayne State. For unknown reason,  newly installed APs were likely to lose configuration and back to factory default.  Upgrading the firmware (> v2.4.4) usually solved the problem.  We have seen one possible instance of  that fluctuating signal problem : We could get to the AP from wired side and saw everything was just fine however nobody could wirelessly associate to the AP and the signal strength was fluctuating wildly. Remotely rebooting it didn't fix the problem.  Cold reboot did the trick.  We also have couple of newly installed APs freezing up during reboot.   we had to to return them  to the dealer.
Sean Che
Network Engineer
Network Services
Wayne State University